Below I’ve provided a series of links to help with evaluating and negotiating startup job offers. Read on for some great advice on this topic from VCs, entrepreneurs, and startup employees.
- Chris Dixon from Andreessen Horowitz about why it’s a bad idea to join a startup right after Series A financing.
- Mark Suster tries to help you answer the question “Is it time to learn or earn?“
- David Beisel of NextView Ventures shares some advice on negotiating startup job offers.
- Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures shares his thoughts on how equity should be allocated to early employees.
- Paul Graham’s (Y Combinator) seminal post about The Equity Equation.
- Wealthfront’s blog on 409As and the reason offer letters don’t include a strike price.
- John Greathouse from Rincon Venture Partners about finding out how much startup stock options are worth.
- Alex MacCaw offers an engineer’s guide to stock options.
- Leo Widrich from Buffer on how stock options are explained to team members.
Other points of view about evaluating and negotiating startup job offers
- Steve Cheney who ran BD at GroupMe pre-Microsoft acquisition writes about startups as a career – and how equity allocations and company valuation play a huge role in outcomes.
- The 4 mistakes I made when negotiating my job offer at a startup.
- One of the early employees at Techstars Cloud company keen.io talks about how she negotiated her startup job offer.
- The guys at VentureHacks try to answer the question: “I have a job offer at a startup, am I getting a good deal?”
- Equity for Employees at Early Stage Startups
- Correctly value your startup job offer
- Not sure you should take that startup job? Think like an investor.
- How To Evaluate A Startup Job Opportunity
- Tim Devane of NextView Ventures writes about what to consider before buying startup stock options.
Startup compensation surveys and other data to help you when negotiating startup job offers
- CompStudy – provide your compensation information for their survey and they’ll provide you the survey results. Not a bad deal!
- Wealthfront, founded by Andy Rachleff (former partner at Benchmark Capital), posted a neat tool that lets you evaluate startup compensation based on data they pulled from various sources.
- A tool from AngelList to explore salaries and equity by role, location, skill, and market.
- An Introduction to Stock and Options for the Tech Entrepreneur or the Startup Employee by David Weekly