Below I’ve provided a series of links to help with evaluating and negotiating startup job offers. Read on for some great advice on this topic from VCs, entrepreneurs, and startup employees.
Click for the Startup Stock Option Calculator (What is your equity worth?)
- Chris Dixon from Andreessen Horowitz about why it’s a bad idea to join a startup right after Series A financing.
- Mark Suster tries to help you answer the question “Is it time to learn or earn?“
- David Beisel of NextView Ventures shares some advice on negotiating startup job offers.
- Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures shares his thoughts on how equity should be allocated to early employees.
- Paul Graham’s (Y Combinator) seminal post about The Equity Equation.
- Wealthfront’s blog on 409As and the reason offer letters don’t include a strike price.
- John Greathouse from Rincon Venture Partners about finding out how much startup stock options are worth.
- Alex MacCaw offers an engineer’s guide to stock options.
- Leo Widrich from Buffer on how stock options are explained to team members.
Other points of view about evaluating and negotiating startup job offers
- Steve Cheney who ran BD at GroupMe pre-Microsoft acquisition writes about startups as a career – and how equity allocations and company valuation play a huge role in outcomes.
- The 4 mistakes I made when negotiating my job offer at a startup.
- One of the early employees at Techstars Cloud company keen.io talks about how she negotiated her startup job offer.
- The guys at VentureHacks try to answer the question: “I have a job offer at a startup, am I getting a good deal?”
- Equity for Employees at Early Stage Startups
- Correctly value your startup job offer
- Not sure you should take that startup job? Think like an investor.
- How To Evaluate A Startup Job Opportunity
- Tim Devane of NextView Ventures writes about what to consider before buying startup stock options.
Startup compensation surveys and other data to help you when negotiating startup job offers
- CompStudy – provide your compensation information for their survey and they’ll provide you the survey results. Not a bad deal!
- Wealthfront, founded by Andy Rachleff (former partner at Benchmark Capital), posted a neat tool that lets you evaluate startup compensation based on data they pulled from various sources.
- A tool from AngelList to explore salaries and equity by role, location, skill, and market.
- An Introduction to Stock and Options for the Tech Entrepreneur or the Startup Employee by David Weekly
Want more startup job posts and career advice? Subscribe to my mailing list to receive startup career advice and job postings delivered to your Inbox.